Title blurb




"From one LIGHT come many colors." ~GJ Dürrschmidt

Friday, May 17, 2013

Best Friends Forever






When I’m all alone
(I mean by myself),
I take your memory
down off the shelf;
the shelf that resides
within my heart,
the one you’ve been on
right from the start.

I talk to you as I’m
watering my plants.
we share over coffee,
take time out to dance.
You help me thru
the hardest of times,
give me the words when
nothing else rhymes.

Tho' you were taken before
we finished high school,
on a dark night in June
when life became cruel;
memories of you have
lived on all these years:
thru times of laughter,
thru times of tears.

How much I had hoped
we’d grown old, you and I,
thru the thick and thin,
sunny days or stormy sky.
Look at me now: an old man,
cantankerous and mean.
Look at you: still my bestie,
still a sweet seventeen.

Guess it's true I'm never 
alone or ever by myself.
There's always you here
sitting on the shelf;
the one that resides
within my heart,
the one you’ve been on
since death us did part.

~gj duerrschmidt

No comments:

Post a Comment