Title blurb




"From one LIGHT come many colors." ~GJ Dürrschmidt

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Surviving in the Wild: Camping in Key West, Florida

Arrived here in Key West on 17 December! 



Here I will collect details for a book I'm writing while traveling across America. While adding new adventures and experiences to my life, my goal is to also have a fully completed novel by journey's end.

The idea for the novel was conceived here in 2002 while staying at the home of a friend on Elizabeth St., and has been begging me ever since to be written. I feel the time is finally right.



Making the trip in a vintage vehicle, along with gas prices climbing toward the $4.00 mark, necessitates finding ways to live "on the cheap." One obvious way was deciding to get back to the basics of life and camp!



Camping in Key West is intended to be on ongoing pre-journey experiment. Having lived in a tent in the pines for nearly a month now, I've already been learning what works well and what does not. By spring, when I roll out and head west, I intend to be a lean, mean, camping machine, toting only what's necessary for survival while on the road, with of course, a few frivolous exceptions.

I'm coming to realize more and more each day, that one can live simply and cheaply, and still enjoy the comforts of home (well, sort of = )

Like a functional kitchen/dining room...



A fully stocked pantry...



Every writer's must: a personal library...



And, of course, some fine crystal...


For entertaining the neighbors...






~GJ Duerrschmidt


















1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    Just wanted to ask you, if you can recommend wild tent camping ground in Key West (as less people as possible), thanks in advance (salibakov@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete