Title blurb




"From one LIGHT come many colors." ~GJ Dürrschmidt

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hammock Perspective: Getting Into the Swing of Key West


Ever since stringing up the hammock between two trees at my humble Key West campsite, the whole world has taken on a new perspective. Key West has aquired world fame for being a place where time pieces are not at all fashionable, where procrastination is the norm, and where the feeling is very, very laid back.

People come here from the four corners to experience the shear pleasure of leaving it all behind, letting go, and basking in the chillest bliss to be found anywhere on earth. But, sadly, few really ever discover it. The problem? Themselves! They just cannot let go. They have become too deeply rooted in worries and fears concerning family, career, finances, and on and on, ad infinitum.

Until the hammock got strung up, two days ago, I didn't realize just how much I was still strung out. After a month of being back in this tiny island Paradise, I too, was not fully letting go. Worries over a tight trip budget, concerns over how family members were getting along back in the "real world," and "yadda, yadda, yadda," were all raining on my tropical gettaway parade! Why?  Because I was the freakin' rain maker!!!


And so, yesterday, I did precious little more than lay back and swing in my hammock... meditating, reflecting, and ~ okay I'll come clean ~ getting over a bad hang over. But, hey! Sometimes it takes getting wasted away in Margaritaville, to take the time out to get the proper perspective. Right? Well, I'll take the lack of comment as an affirmative!

As I layed there deep in meditation, a strange, almost holy light broke through the overhead canopy. I wondered in awe if it might be some sign from Heaven. But, as my eyes adjusted to the brightness, I saw some creature moving in the tree above. If an angel, it took on the form of a large, bright green iguana. 


He hung around for quite sometime, cocking his head studying me, and surprisingly proved to be an excellent listener. Oddly enough, he seemed to agree with everything I shared. And, if that was not something amazing, through some strange telepathic magic, he let on that I was in the right place, on the right track, and that everything was going to be just fine.


Everything except my back! I found that I can only spend so long swinging in a hammock before my back begins to ache. Not only was my back hurting, but I also began getting an aching,, throbbing head ~ no doubt from all the thinking and telepathy. So, I struggled out of the rope webbing, took a couple of aspirin, and then decided to walk to the shore and catch the sunset.


When I arrived, there "sat" two pelicans on the bench that I like to occupy on such occasions. Not a problem. I simply sat on the bench across the street behind them. They weren't at all friendly toward me, but I wasn't going to let that ruin what had turned out to be an otherwise perfect day. We three sat in silence gazing slightly off to our left, and marveled at yet another beautiful Key West sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment