Title blurb




"From one LIGHT come many colors." ~GJ Dürrschmidt

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Church: When's the Last Time You Were There?




So, I haven’t been there in a while;
I felt no need to attend any more.
It did little for me when I did go;
getting there was such a chore.

Though I miss its vaulted ceilings,
benches made from hardest wood;
stained glass windowed artwork,
above where pious statues stood;

Its fine linen-draped marble altars,
chalices with accessories of gold;
tall candles of purest bee’s wax,
waiting God's message to be told;

Sinners and saints under one roof,
congregating to worship the Lord;
singing with the passing of baskets,
giving to Him all they can afford.

I once stood, knelt, and also prayed,
trying my best to embrace the game.
But, I never felt God’s presence;
I quit attending, but felt no shame.

I then traveled the whole world over,
met Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Jew.
Each claimed their god was the God.
But, the God said this was not true: 

I am the air, water, earth and fire,
all the forces of nature combined;
not restricted by man-made religion,
never man-owned, nor man-confined.

I am there on top of the mountains,
the valleys below, and upon the sea;
there are no places you may venture,
where you will not encounter me.

I haven’t been to church in a long time;
once, getting there was such a chore.
Perhaps I’ll go for old time’s sake,
and walk with God through the door.

~gj duerrschmidt


No comments:

Post a Comment